Kataifi prawn, scallop, and spring vegetable salad.
Recipe part 1: Prawns and scallop
1kg large raw prawns
500g large scallops. Roe on
500g kataifi pastry
100g plain flour
200g panko breadcrumbs
1. Remove heads and peel prawns, and set aside (for prawn broth, refer to part 2). De vain and butterfly prawns. Whisk eggs and milk together. Lightly flour the prawn and dip in egg wash and wrap in 30 gm of kataifi pastry. Continue the process until you have 6 wrapped prawns. Keep in the fridge until you need (see page 5) . Keep the remaining prawns in the fridge; you will need them in other recipes.
2. Remove the roe from the scallop and set the roe aside. Lightly flour the scallop and dip in egg wash, then coat in panko crumbs, continue process until you have 12 crumbed scallops. Keep in fridge until you need (see page 5).
Recipe part 2: Prawn broth
- Reserved Prawn shells
- 5 tbsp 500 gm 100ml 500 ml 1 litre
- tomato paste
- Pura Sun Ultra 100% high oleic sunflower oil white wine
- fish stock
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped 2 cloves garlic crushed
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
1. In a large roasting pan combine prawn shells, 3 tbsp of tomato paste, 400 gm of the tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, garlic and Pura Sun Ultra, mix well and roast for 45 minutes or until dark and caramelised.
2. Put roasted prawn shells and vegetables into a large pot, add white wine, over a medium heat and reduce the wine until almost evaporated. Then add the fish stock, bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour.
3. Ladle the liquid and the solids into a food processor (you may have to do this in a few batches) and pulse for 10 to 15 seconds. Pour the broth into a sieve lined with an oil filter, push through the liquid and discard the solids. Repeat this process until all the liquid has been passed through. You should end up with about 500 ml of prawn broth.
4. In a saucepan add the broth and the remaining tomato paste and tomatoes, reduce the volume by half. In a blender blitz for 2 minutes. Pass through a fine sieve. Allow to cool, and keep in the fridge until ready to use (needed for parts 3, 4 & 5).
Recipe part 3: Prawn vinaigrette
- 50ml reduced prawn broth
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp chardonnay vinegar
- 100ml Pura Sun Ultra 100% high oleic sunflower oill
- Salt and pepper
1. In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients, season to taste.
Recipe part 4: Scallop roe mayonnaise
- 100g reserved scallop roe
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 100ml reduced prawn broth
- 50ml chardonnay vinegar
- 2 tbsp Pura Sun Ultra 100% high oleic sunflower oil
- 200ml olive oil
- 3 prawns finely diced
- 3 free range egg yolks
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat a frying pan, when hot, add Pura Sun Ultra, sear the scallop roe and prawns. Stir through the tomato ketchup cook for 1 minute, add the broth cook for a further 3 minutes season with salt and pepper, remove from heat.
2. Put the mix into a food processor and blitz for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally until it resembles a fine puree. Cool mix.
3. When puree is cold return to the food processor, add egg yolks, blitz until well combined, add vinegar, then slowly drizzle olive oil in. Season to taste. If the mayonnaise is a bit thick, thin it out with a little water Keep in the fridge until ready to use (see page 5).
Recipe part 5: Prawn and ricotta filled potato
- 100ml reduced prawn broth
- 100g ricotta
- 50ml cream
- 1 free range egg yolk
- 3 large potatoes (good quality for chipping) 3 prawns finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- Pura Sun Ultra 100% high oleic sunflower oil
Fill your deep fryer with Pura Sun Ultra and pre heat it to 150 degrees.
1. Cut the potato in half and trim down the sides enough to cut it with a 3 cm cookie cutter. Using an apple corer cut out the middle of the potato barrel, continue this until you have 6 potato cylinders. Also reserve the middle part of the cylinder.
2. In a pot add the cylinders and middle parts cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for around 8 to 10 mins until just cooked, strain and dry on absorbent paper, place in the fridge and cool immediately.
3. Once cold, blanch them in the deep fryer for 7 minutes, dry on absorbent paper and allow to cool in fridge.
4. Heat a frying pan with 2 tbsp of Pura Sun Ultra, get your pan hot and sear the prawns quickly, add prawn broth and reduce heat. Reduce liquid by half. Remove pan from heat. Put prawns into a food processor blitz until a fine puree is formed. Cool in the fridge. Once cooled return to the food processor and add the remaining ingredients season with salt and pepper and pulse for 30 seconds, Put filling in a piping bag, keep in fridge until required (see page 5).
Recipe part 6: Avocado puree
- 2 avocados
- 1 juice of a lemon
- 50 ml thickened cream
- 15 gm soy lecithin granules
- salt and pepper
1. Scoop out flesh and discard seed and skin, put in a food processor, blitz for 30 seconds and add the remaining ingredients. Blitz until well combined, season to taste, cover with baking paper and store in the fridge until required (see page 5).
Recipe part 7: The salad
50g green peas
50ml chardonnay vinegar
50ml Pura Sun Ultra 100% high oleic sunflower oil
100ml olive oil
12 red shallots
6 white salad onions
18 small cherry tomatoes Salt
1. Peel the shallots, them remove 3 to 4 layers of the outside, discard the outer layers and keep the inside, repeat the same process for the salad onions keeping the green stalk on.
2. Bring a pot of water to the boil. Add shallots, reduce to a simmer and cook for around 10 to 15 minutes or until a knife goes through easily. Refresh in ice water. Then add the salad onions, cook for around 15 mins or until a knife goes through easily. Refresh in ice water
3. Score the tomatoes and blanch for 10 seconds and refresh in ice water. Blanch the peas for 30 seconds, refresh in ice water. 4. To make the vinaigrette, combine in a bowl, vinegar, both Pura Sun Ultra and olive oil, whisk together and season to taste
- 1 jar Salmon roe
- Nasturtium leaves
- Baby chard leaves
- Baby spinach leaves
- Chervil sprigs
- Dill sprigs Edible flowers
Recipe part 8: The assembly
Pre heat deep fryer to 180 degrees.
1. Bring a pot of water to the boil; quickly reheat the shallots and onions. Brush the tomatoes, shallots, onions and peas in the vinaigrette.
2. Ensure deep fryer is filled with Pura Sun Ultra and deep fry the potatoes until golden brown, while still hot pipe the prawn and ricotta filling into the cylinders. Next deep fry the prawns until golden, followed by the scallops.
3. Smear a little scallop roe mayonnaise on the left hand side of the plate, Pipe 3 spots of avocado puree on the right, put the filled potato up the back of the plate, then scatter peas around, Place three marinated tomatoes around the plate followed by 2 shallots and 1 onion. Place the kataifi prawn on the mayonnaise, then the scallops around the salad.
4. Scatter around 1 tbsp of salmon roe, and then drizzle the salad with prawn vinaigrette.
5. To garnish simply place nasturtium, chard, spinach leaves, chervil and dill sprigs around the plate followed by the edible flowers.